What is Coeliac Awareness Week?
Coeliac Awareness Week is CNZ's major campaign, run annually in May. The week aims to shine a light on coeliac disease by spreading the word about getting tested, eating well - by providing information about food and ingredients, and general awareness about coeliac disease and what that means for those diagnosed and their support people.
Coeliac Awareness Week - 15 to 21 May 2017
This year's Coeliac Awareness Week will be from the 15th to the 21st of May. The main focus is to encourage people in our communities, the food industry, medical professionals and educators to 'Consider Coeliac Disease'. It is currently estimated that 60,000 to 70,000 New Zealanders have coeliac disease (1 in 70), however up to 80% of those are unaware they have the condition. This is largely because the symptoms can vary considerably between individuals, making it difficult to discern if coeliac disease is the cause.
To reduce the possibility of long term damage or the development of other conditions we encourage those who suspect they may have coeliac disease to get tested. A simple blood test prescribed by your doctor can help decide if you have it. If you do have coeliac disease, then a strict gluten free diet is recommended to allow your small intestine to heal.
During this week, we want to encourage our members to help spread this message and to fundraise for our organisation. There are many ways you can get involved.
Ideas of how you can get involved:
- You can hold fundraiser events at your work place or school e.g. Casual Friday at work or GF Bake-Off
- Help distribute our campaign posters and brochures in your local community
- Run a informational evening.
- Host a GF potluck dinner, lunch or afternoon tea.
- Talk to your local gluten free restaurant about hosting a benefit night where a percentage of the sales go towards CNZ.
- Organise a fun kids event at Chipmunks, Inflatable World or Clip 'N Climb and invite your children's friends.
- Run a fun GF cooking class for your kids e.g. Make your own pasta, pancake or pizza.
- Hold a bake sale at your church or school.
- Share our Facebook posts during the week.
- If you can't organise an event, then join one of the many events happening nationwide.
- For more fundraising ideas, check our our Fundraise for Us page.
If you have an idea of how you'd like to be involved in Coeliac Awareness Week 2017, give us a call on: 09 414 7467 or email email@example.com.
Download an copy of our campaign poster to share with your community. For hard copies in A4, A3 or A1, please Contact Us.
CAW poster 2017 (857 KB)
Coeliac Awareness Week - 2016
Awareness Week 2016 was run from the 16th - 22nd May, and had significant results that include high profile media coverage especially as we launched our Dining Out Programme.
The focus for 2016 was on assuring that food labelled 'gluten free' is actually gluten free and safe for people living with coeliac disease to eat. There
is a lot of food out there that claims to be gluten free but we all know that 'Not all gluten free food is created equal'. We encouraged our members
that as the consumer you have the right to ask the food vendor to explain how they can guarantee the food is gluten free.
Thank you to everyone who took part in raising awareness of coeliac disease in New Zealand. This year was a great team effort and we couldn’t do it without you. There was a huge range of activities, media coverage and of course CNZ posters all over the community.
Check out the Media Releases for Coeliac Awareness Week 2016